1. Queen Elizabeth's given names are
- Mary Elizabeth Charlotte
- Elizabeth Alexandra Mary
- Elizabeth Katherine Maria
2. The surname most commonly used by her family is
3. Her sister's name was:
- Margaret Alexandra
- Margaret Rose
- Mary Margaret
4. The Queen was educated
- at home
- at private school, then university
- at a British state school
5. During World War II she trained as
- an air traffic controller
- a nurse
- a driver and mechanic
6. She was preceded as monarch by
- King George VI
- King Edward VIII
- King George V
7. The heir to the throne is
- Prince William
- Prince George
- Prince Charles
8. How many children does the Queen have?
9. Her main official residence is
- Windsor Castle
- Buckingham Palace
10. In her position as Queen, she has only three rights. What are they?
- To be consulted by the Prime Minister, to encourage certain actions and to warn against others.
- To order the Prime Minister to take certain actions, to refuse to sign certain Acts of Parliament and to declare war.
- To express her opinion directly to the people and to Parliament and to draft Acts of Parliament.
The Queen's Coronation took place in which year?
12. She was crowned in
- St Paul's Cathedral
- Westminster Abbey
- Westminster Cathedral
13. In 2012 she celebrated her
- Diamond Jubilee
- Silver Jubilee
- Golden Jubilee
14. During the 2012 Olympics Ceremony she became
- a great-grandmother
- an empress
- a Bond girl
15. Why does the Queen have a "real" birthday [21st April] and an official birthday [in June]?
- so that she can have more presents
- because the British weather should be better in June
- because there are more tourists in London in June
16. If you meet the Queen you should call her
- "Your Royal Highness"
- "Your Majesty" at first, then "Ma'am"
- "Queen Elizabeth"
17. The Queen wears the Imperial State Crown
- every day
- for all State occasions
- for the State Opening of Parliament
18. The dogs the Queen likes best are
- Yorkshire terriers
19. How many State visits abroad has the Queen undertaken in her reign?
20. Which of the following can the Queen NOT do?
- express a political opinion in public
- drive a car with no vehicle registration plate [number plate]
Highlight the space below to see the answers:
1. Elizabeth Alexandra Mary
2. Senior members of the British Royal Family do not have to use a surname but "Mountbatten-Windsor" or "Windsor" are often used to refer to the family as a whole. Prince William and Prince Harry often use the surname "Wales" as their father, Prince Charles, is the Prince of Wales.
3. Margaret Rose
4. At home.
5. The Queen, as Princess Elizabeth, trained as a driver and mechanic in the ATS [Auxiliary Territorial Service].
6. The Queen was preceded by her father, King George VI.
7. Prince Charles, Prince of Wales
8. The Queen has four children: Prince Charles, Prince of Wales; Princess Anne, Princess Royal; Prince Andrew, Duke of York; Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex.
9. Buckingham Palace
10. The Queen's rights are to be consulted by the Prime Minister, to encourage certain actions and to warn against others.
12. Westminster Abbey
13. Diamond Jubilee [60 years as Queen].
14. The Queen famously, and briefly, played the role of a Bond girl with the actor Daniel Craig at Buckingham Palace. She did not jump out of the plane, though!
15. This is becaue the British weather shoulod be better for parades and ceremonies in June.
16. You should call the Queen "Your Majesty" at first and then "Ma'am".
17. British monarchs wear the Imperial State Crown when leaving Wetminster Abbey after their Coronation and for the annual State Opening of Parliament. It's a very heavy crown! The monarch is crowned with St Edward's Crown at the Coronation.
19. The Queenn has undertaken117 State visits abroad to date [two of these in her role as Queen of Canada].
20. The Queen cannot express a political opinion in public or vote.