Today Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II becomes the longest-reigning monarch in British history. Previously, the record was held by her great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria [1819 - 1901].
Here are some similarities and differences between Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Victoria:
1. They were both very young when they came to the throne. Queen Victoria was 18 and Queen Elizabeth II was 25.
2. Queen Victoria was very much in love with her husband, Prince Albert and Queen Elizabeth II remains very much in love with her husband, Prince Philip.
3. Queen Victoria had a lonely childhood and her mother was strict. Queen Elizabeth II and her sister, Princess Margaret, had a very happy childhood.
4. Queen Victoria's only job was being Queen! Queen Elizabeth II, as Princess Elizabeth, served in the ATS [the then women's branch of the British Army] during World War II.
5. Queen Victoria had nine children and Queen Elizabeth II has four.
6. Both queens were educated at home.
7. Both queens survived assassination attempts.
8. Queen Victoria's reign saw the Industrial Revolution in Britain; Queen Elizabeth's reign has seen the Technological and Digital Revolutions.
9. During Queen Victoria's reign, the British Empire expanded. The reign of Queen Elizabeth II has seen its end but many of Britain's former colonies are now members of the Commonwealth of Nations.
10. Queen Victoria only travelled in Europe and often these were private visits. Queen Elizabath II, however, has visited 126 countries, 116 of these on official trips.
11. Queen Victoria loved, and Queen Elizabeth II continues to love, Scotland.
12. Both queens celebrated diamond jubilees, Queen Victoria in 1897 and Queen Elizabeth II in 2012.