Tuesday, 24 December 2013
Tuesday, 10 December 2013
|Image: South Africa The Good News / www.sagoodnews.co.za|
TWELVE FACTS ABOUT NELSON MANDELA
1. His original first name was Rolihlahla.
2. A teacher gave him the name Nelson.
3. His father was a Mvezo chief.
4. He had 13 brothers and sisters.
5. At university he studied law and he continued these studies when he was in prison.
6. He wanted equal rights for all people in South Africa. He fought to end apartheid, a cruel system of racial segregation under which black people could not vote or own land.
7. He spent 27 years in prison because of his political activism.
8. Nelson Mandela's prison guard, Christo Brand, became his friend.
9. After his release from prison, Nelson Mandela became South Africa's first black President and the country's first democratically elected President.
10. He believed that education and sport, as well as politics, could change the world.
11. He is sometimes known as Madiba, a Xhosa [tribe] title of respect.
12. Nelson Mandela received over 250 honours, including the Nobel Peace Prize, during his life.
Nelson Mandela, 18th July 1918 - 5th December 2013